March 30, 2020
Times of national crisis can spark anxiety in young children. Here are some tips from our resident mental health expert, Mary Taverner, LCSW on how to support your child’s mental health:
- Keep sleep and meal schedules consistent – Consistent routines provide a sense of safety for young children and impact our brain health.
- Stay active – Get your body moving! Find ways to stretch, dance, and move.
- Take care of yourself – No matter how old your children are, they know when you are stressed. Our ability to regulate impacts their sense of safety.
- Stay in touch – Social distancing doesn’t have to mean social isolation. Try utilizing technology to keep in touch with family and friends, for yourself and your children!
- Seek help – We are all figuring this out together, but there are people out there who may have more expertise. Check out the City of Alexandria’s COVID-19 Wellness Resource Guide for tips and additional resources.
- Talk to your children – Be honest, but try not to share more than they can comprehend.
- Find the joy – Don’t underestimate the power of play! Engage with your kids through both structured and unstructured play – just follow their lead. Make this time together something special rather than something fearful.
Questions? Give us a call at (703) 836-0214 ext. 232